Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ethnogrophy Results - Week 2

From my team's proposal we said we would each pick a subcategory on reddit.com and look further into the trends and behavior within it. I picked the 'Science' category because I want to see what kind of interesting stuff is posted and how people respond.

As far as qualitative and quantitative data goes, I haven't taken much down. My goal this week was to observe the science section and see what kind of data could possibly be taken from it. For week 3 it would be decided as a team what kind of data we could pool together from our different sections.

First Impression About the 'Science' Section

The first thing I noticed was that space topics are very popular but overall I saw a very wide variety of subjects. Commenting on the posts also seems popular, most of them have hundreds of comments. After skimming through the comments of several posts I noticed most of them to just be small remarks, some even unrelated to the subject. One thing I found interesting about this website is that when you click on a post, most of the time it takes you to a different website where the data was officially taken from. In the science section I saw a lot of NASA and Discovery content. This is cool because it makes the information more credible.

What Kind of Data Can Be Used?

I think for the science section it would be cool to keep track of how popular certain subjects are. Such as how many health and space topics are discussed. Keeping track of comments could help provide insight on how the user's interact and if there is any special etiquite for the site. Seeing how many people take the post seriously or how many people feel the need to re-rail the conversation and how many people go along with it?

Week 3 Plans

For week 3 I plan to take down a lot of data and see if there are any connections with the other sections of the site. We can see if each section has different behavior based on the comments related to the material. My group data and information can also be pooled together to put together a starting analysis for our study of this website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment