Monday, February 28, 2011

Book Reading #29 - Opening Skinner's Box

Chapter 8: Lost in the Mall
Summary:
This chapter is about the work and ideas of memories done by Dr. Elizabeth Loftus. Most of the chapter is about the idea of planting false memories in peoples minds and seeing if they believe them or not. The memory used was about the person getting lost in the mall which showed that many people did go along with the story and elaborate on it. Most of this work is offensive to many people because of the idea of sexual abuse victims and people being accused of really bad crimes maybe not being taken seriously. Loftus's work has added a confusing aspect to memory research.

 
Discussion: 
This chapter wasn't as entertaining as the other but it made me think a lot. At the end of the chapter I recalled where I was when I heard about 9/11. I'm pretty sure I still remember correctly but how can I be sure? I think a lot of what Loftus says is valid but there needs to be some kind of scientific, absolute proof which we don't have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment