Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ethnography Results, Week 8

This week I decided to go back to the idea of what kind of things people like to comment about. This is a little different from my previous weeks but much like my week 4 results. To reemphasize since I just did a lot of stuff with posting articles, comments are much different because they come from reading the article itself but then a user can also post about somebodies comment. So there is possibly more reading involved. My week 4 results looked at popular posts in the 'Science' section and then took popular comments from those posts and I tracked the users commenting activity to see the range of subjects. This is similar to tracking the posts because I noticed that people did not comment as frequently in the 'Science' section opposed to a shorter content section such as 'Funny' or 'Pics'. I'm going to track 5 different users that come from the 'Funny' section and see if I get similar results to the 'Science' section.

User 1: 
  • funny x 8
  • videos x 2
  • pics x 6
  • todayilearned
User 2:
  • funny x 4
  • worldnews
  • movies x 5
  • music x 3
  • pics x 2
  • science
User 3:
  • funny x 11
  • pics x 3
  • science x 2
  • wtf
  • fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
User 4:
  • todayilearned
  • funny x8
  • reddit.com x 4
  • askreddit x 4
  • worldnews
User 5:
  • funny x 5
  • pics x 8
  • politics x 6
Note that some of the posts in the same section come from the same post, the user commented multiple times. Only a few comments were more than a sentence so they were all very short. From the limited results I have it can be seen that indeed the people I tracked posted mostly in sections that have short content.  Just like what I said for posters I think this is because it is easier to form a community with a large user base with content that is entertaining and short, such as the 'Pics' and 'Funny' section. To further track these sections I should probably pick a completely random section and track the users the way I have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment