Monday, March 28, 2011

Ethnogrophy Results: Week 7

This week I wanted to go further into the idea that people are more attracted to commenting and posting on material that is short and doesn't take much time to view. I noted in my last week's blog that the 'Pics' section was a very simple section on Reddit.com that is only pictures. Most pictures do not require a lot of viewing time. I'm going to do what I did last week and track several users who have posted material on the front page and see what their posting tendancies are. From my observations in previous weeks I will go ahead and say that people who are active and have posted something that has made it to the front page of the 'Pics' section will have many more posts in short content sections. Here are the results from five active users that posted front page content in the'Pics' section.

User 1:
  • Pics x 11
  • Reddit.com x 5
  • Funny x 2
  • Gaming x 2
  • wtf
  • videos x 2
User 2:
  • Pics x 2
  • Gaming x  8
  • reddit.com x 3
  • technology
User 3:
  • Pics x 3
  • fuuuuuuuuuuuu x 5
  • reddit.com
  • funny x 3
  • todayilearned x 3
User 4:
  • Music x 4
  • Pics x 4
  • ffuuuuuu
  • gaming x 2
  • worldnews x 5
User 5:
  • Pics x 7
  • Politics x 4
  • Music x 6
  • AskReddit x 2
  • reddit.com
  • funny x 2
Because I have not done this with thousands of users I cannot conclude anything for sure but I can have ideas. I think from these results it shows that people do in fact prefer greatly to post short content. Interestingly enough none of the users I looked at made posts in the science section I originally started with. Another idea worth noting is that there are sections, such as 'Pics', that are much more general than sections such as 'Science'. I've seen many people post in the science section and also make posts in the pics and funny sections but not the other way around. To me this emphasises that there are indeed communities in reddit. Some communities just appeal to more people and have a more general use.

No comments:

Post a Comment